Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Why I love Vintage

It's so cool!

The pieces are usually very different from anything you'll find in "mall-world" and they have such personality.  Just like jewelry at the mall, there are different price points in vintage jewelry.  So no matter what your budget you can find pieces you like and can afford. 

Most of the pieces are well made.  As evidence in the fact they've made it this long, many vintage jewelry pieces are simply constructed better than modern pieces.  Let's face it, quality has dropped as companies have lowered standards inorder to raise profits.

Speaking of price point, the other thing with vintage jewelry is that its collectible.  So when you're ready to move up in price-point, you can always re-sell the jewelry you have in order to buy more of what you want.  There are all sorts of collectors out there.

Here's one of my favorite pieces in my collection right now.  This little heart pin I bought recently at a local antique store for $5.00.  It was labeled as purple glass and "antique."  Turns out it is a genuine amethyst, with a gold plated over silver setting, and is worth over $100.  Beyond the fabulous bargain, I wear it because it makes me smile...and that's what good jewelry should do.  It should make you feel pretty and make you smile.  I happen to find that joy in Vintage jewelry.


I have two pieces very similar in appearance to this on sale at my Etsy store. One is a GLP signed brooch, and the other is unsigned, but still gorgeous!

No comments:

Post a Comment