Saturday, August 4, 2012

Vintage Jewelry Party

As an experiment, I hosted a "Vintage Costume Jewelry Party" at my house.  I took out every single piece of jewelry that I have in my collection, laid it out nicely on trays around my home, and invited just about everyone I know in the area to come and look.

Here's what the invitation said:

You are invited to come learn about and play with vintage costume jewelry.

Do you have pieces of vintage costume jewelry that you're curious about? Wonder if that vintage costume jewelry you inherited is worth anything? Bring it and we'll find out! We'll research it and determine a value. Heck, I may even buy it off of you!

OR

Have you been looking for that perfect vintage piece for an upcoming event? Want to be environmentally friendly and re-use pieces instead of supporting big-box stores and Chinese factories? Be chic and original with vintage pieces! I have a bunch available for sale if you want.

OR

Just come and play! I've got jewelry to try on, books about jewelry to look through, and websites available to look through.

Just come when you can, you don't have to stay for the entire time.

We'll have treats and beverages, mirrors and of course sparklies!

Feel free to bring a friend if you want.
 
All told, I sent the invitation to about 60 people and 11 people came! 20 percent of those invited actually came, which is just about average for a party of this sorts, so I was fairly happy.  I did some good business, and a couple of people brought some jewelry they had questions about. I had a really good time, and I think that my friends did also. 
 
It took me 4 days of sorting and tagging all my items in order to get ready for this party. As of right now, 11:00 p.m, it looks like it will take me all of tomorrow to package the jewelry back up.
 
The dining room table covered!



I'd like to think the experiment a success. My mother, a member of a "vintage ladies" group has suggested I do a vintage jewelry night for one of their upcoming get togethers, with more a discussion of what might be of value in their current collections as opposed to purchasing jewelry. I can't wait.


 

1 comment: