Thursday, March 31, 2011

Maker's Mark: G.L.P.

I'm planning to use this blog to share information that I find while researching marks and signatures on the back of vintage pieces.

One of the pieces that I picked up recently is an Amethyst brooch with the initials G.L.P on the back of the clasp.

It took a while for me to find any information, because this company was not very big, nor was it in business for very long, but here's what I found:

"The George L. Paine Company was founded in Attleboro, Massachusetts shortly after the turn of the twentieth century. They produced solid gold and gold filled pieces according to the book American Jewelry Manufactures by Dorothy Rainwater on page 184." (Item listing on Amazing Adornments)

"The George L. Paine Company of Attleboro, MA was in business from 1909-1922." (Item listing on Worthpoint)

And finally:

"G.L.P., or G.L.P.CO, is the hallmark for George L Paine & Company. Founded in 1909 in North Attleboro, Massachusetts, and last known in business in 1922. Their products were mostly solid gold, 10k gold front and gold-filled jewellery. Marks used on jewellery - G.L.P., G.L.P.CO, GLP, GLP CO." (Vintage Cove)

The first quote has given me a resource to check out from the library. It's on my request list from inter-library loan.  Once I get it, I'll try and put more information up on this company. 

Until then, you can check out the brooch at my Etsy store.  G.L.P Art Nouveau or Edwardian Amethyst Brooch

3 comments:

  1. I have a couple of pieces with that mark on it. They appear to be real gold, but if they were last know in business in 1922, then I guess I have a real antique. Thanks for your research. I wondered what it stood for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found a piece of Glp jewellery and would like to know what it is. Where can i post a picture of it?
    Camckey@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. do you have any idea what a barret is worth? I have one with a large amnethist and do not want to get rid of it until I am sure what it is.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete