Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Chiropractic Adjusted Jewelry???

An interesting thing happened while sitting in the waiting room of my Chiropractor a few weeks ago.  I was chatting with the receptionist about her mother, costume jewelry, and my shop. Another patient waiting for her appointment asked me more details, and I talked about how I buy from estate sales, clean up the pieces and sell them online. 

She then said "I have a bunch of old jewelry that was my mothers that I don't know what to do with!  I won't wear it, it's not my style. Would you like to see it?"  I wasn't going to turn that offer down.  The next time I went to my chiropractor, the receptionist told me that she had a bag of jewelry and a phone number from the patient I had been talking to.

This lady trusted me enough to leave the jewelry for me to look through!  I excitedly took all the jewelry home to find that most of it was in original boxes! One of the sets in the picture (on the bottom left corner) appears to be much more modern than what I usually deal in, maybe late 1980s / early 1990s. Another set (in the top left corner with the pearls) is so covered with verdegris that I'm not sure it's salvageable. But most of it is right up my alley! Check out the Laguna crystal set, in orginal box, with original hang tag!!!

Clockwise from upper left: Faux Pearl Demi parure, light blue "butterfly"
rhinestone necklace, Laguna Crystal Demi Parure, Jade Parure, Topaz / Jonquil
rhinestone necklace, Clear rhinestone set in "Winston Jewelry" box, Pavé Rhinestone Parure

Anywho, I called the customer and talked to her about the pieces.  I explained that it is exactly what I'm looking for. I also described each set, explained what I would price it at if I had it in my own shop, and then offered her a price that worked out to be about half of what I would offer.  She took it instantly, no haggling!  She then said "I trust you on this. I don't know anything about it, and I don't wear the stuff.  I'm just happy it's going to someone who will find people who love it."

She ended by telling me that she'd drop of another bag of jewelry at the chiropractor's office in the future. After my conversation with this lovely lady, I called the receptionist (whose name also happens to be Joanne) and told her about the arrangements.  She said she didn't mind being an intermediary, especially as she'd get to look at all the jewelry ahead of time.

I really am blessed to have my store's business improving like it is! It is truly exciting to be making so many connections and networking the way I am!

1 comment: